Dundee Mini Make-Off: Come along and get involved
The Dundee Mini Make-Off is a collaboration between various Dundee creative communities to run a flexible, creative event including artists’ workshops, free craft drop-ins, an interactive exhibition, make-off competition and a pop-up selling opportunity run by POPDundee. The mini make-off takes place on Saturday 24th September in Unit 6 of Dundee’s Vision Building, 20 Greenmaket. Running from 10am-5.30pm, the day features a serious of creative workshops, exhibition space, a pop up shop and a live-make off.
During the Make Off event, there will be creative workshops that explore the relationship individuals have with making and allow the public to take part and learn something new. There will also be free drop in workshops going on throughout the day as well as specialised artist tutorials which will require booking. Booking times will be available nearer the time so keep up to date via Dundee mini make-off’s Facebook and Twitter.
Dundee Mini Make Off want to showcase the wide variety of the creative talent that Dundee and the surrounding areas have pop-up exhibition space. The exhibition will be open to the public throughout the day and exhibitors are encouraged to engage with visitors, telling them about your work and creative/design process. The team are looking for all kinds of art from sculpture and dance to digital art – a showreel of digital media and art work will be shown on a projector platform throughout the event.
POPDUNDEE will be hosting a pop-up shop featuring work from a variety of talented local creatives. POPDUNDEE is a collection of Dundee based art students who aim to breath life into the city streets through Pop-up shops selling and promoting artwork.
- Pros and hobbyists can contribute goods to the Pop-Up Shop
- All artistic fields welcome – from jewellery to illustration, textiles to fine art.
- All contributions will be on a sale or return basis. Dundee Mini Make off don’t take a commission – all profits go to makers!
- Swaps with other artists and sellers are likely & strongly encouraged.
For the make-off, 6-10 artists will be selected to take part in a friendly competition. Each artist will be given a loose brief, limited materials and the full day to complete their masterpieces. The make-off will take place live in the Vision Building and the local community will be invited along to watch and engage with the artists as they work, gaining insight into the whole creative process from an idea to the final piece. Final pieces will be judged at 5pm with the winner announced and awarded at 5:30pm!
- Artists will create a piece of work over 6 hours throughout the day
- Some basic art supplies will be provided by Dundee MakerSpace (artists are welcome to suggest materials and tools)
- Artists are welcome to register as a single contestant or as a group
How to get involved
Dundee Mini Make-Off is all about creating an inclusive, creative event for anyone and everyone. You don’t need to be a pro to join in, just willing to share a skill. The team are asking for people from all creative disciplines and levels to:
- Run free drop in workshops
- Offer specialised artists tutorials
- Take part in our Pop Up Shop
- Contribute to an interactive exhibition
- Register as a make off competitor!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st July to receive your information pack and submission forms. Submissions close on 31st August.