Open Call: Dundee Design Festival 2017
Dundee Design Festival returns in May 2017 and have announced a nationwide call for designers and makers to take part in a vast installation titled, ‘Factory Floor’.
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 27th March
West Ward Works will once again become the home to Dundee Design Festival, a programme of exhibitions and events which celebrates design in the UK’s only City of Design, in May 2017. The festival will use the rich backdrop of this former print factory as context in which to describe what making means now.
‘Factory Floor’ celebrates new makers and their machines. Featuring designers whose work embraces experimental processes and innovation in materials, this exhibition marks a moment in post industrial production where craft and technology combine.
Playful, bold, and unpredictable, ‘Factory Floor’ will showcase the new objects and ideas emerging from studios and workshops within the UK and around the globe. The exhibition will confidently mix craft and design, products and prototypes, models and maquettes, the tried-and-failed, and the interventions and errors that find their way in to digital techniques and make for radical forms.
How to Apply
The deadline for submissions is 5pm, Monday 27th March. Entries received after this deadline will not be accepted.
Designers must provide:
- A completed application form
- A short statement (200 words) responding to the theme ‘factory floor’
- Links to up to five works for consideration.
Please direct any queries about the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants will be notified via email by Friday 31st March. Further information can be found in this application pack download.
- Factory Floor is open to designers working in (but not limited to) the fields of ceramics, glass, jewellery, architecture, interiors, furniture, product, fashion, textiles, games, digital and service design.
- Applications can be from designers living both in and outside the UK
- Unfortunately applicants cannot be accepted from undergraduate or postgraduate students currently enrolled on a degree course.
- Only applications submitted online will be considered.
Each exhibiting designer will receive £200 towards travel costs. Return shipping and insurance for all works will be covered by Dundee Design Festival.
Please note, though there may be means to sell work after the close of the festival, none of the work included in the exhibition can be sold on site.