NEoN 2011 is Coming…
Dundee’s NEoN Digital Arts Festival is Scotland’s only festival dedicated to all things digital across performance, moving image, music and technology driven arts. It is back for 2011.
Now in its third year, the festival’s theme is collaboration; and in this spirit there is an international helping of Danes, a dash of Finns and a nip of Icelanders involved in 2011! NEoN really has a distinct Nordic flavour and visiting artists will be landing in to Dundee to perform, collaborate and share with festival go-ers from our own wee north nation.
During the 7 day festival, there are many free events (like Geocaching with prizes!) taking place and a great feast of locally grown talent being showcased – including ‘Move Sound Together’ a collaborative installation piece (at NEoN HQ – aka Chamber East) between 5 artists which combines interaction, movement and light; and promises to be a real audio visual sensory experience.
There is way too much to highlight in one post, so here follows just some of the many festive activities happening from 6th-12th November. Check out the Festival Programme online and hard copies will be available from all usual outlets from Monday, 31st October.
6th Nov – NEoN Digital Fun Day – a family friendly day, full of opportunities to make movies and be a pop star for a day.
8th Nov – Day programme still be announced. Pecha Kucha Night Dundee – volume 1 at night!
- Dirty Electronics Skull Etching workshop and performance is far less painful than the name suggests! This session gives you the chance to construct a DIY electronic from scratch; and then play it. To find out more, you can read an interview with Dirty Electronics here.
- Games studio Denki and artist Jaygo Bloom – who had a solo exhibition at the DCA in 2010 – come together to create a new interactive piece which is still top secret, until the event!
- Show and Tell – An eclectic mix of speakers are lined up for these talks, covering new media through to musicians to designers – it will be an interesting thought-provoking session on all things digital.
- Then Helsinki based design and animation studio, Anima Boutique will showing a special screening and talk – we’re pretty, ok, very excited by them coming to Dundee!
- Video artist Rachel Maclean screening of ‘Everyone Knows it’s True’ is on at the DCA. Think Wizard of Oz in Technicolor, on a trip… We like!
- Then you can see Dylan Drummond’s screening of ‘Keep The Faith’, a documentary film currently being made in Dundee that focuses on the city’s Northern Soul scene. Strong in the 1970s and still alive and dancing today, Northern Soul saw young people from the different housing schemes of the city, normally very territorial, come together to dance all night until dawn.
- Takes us back that Utah Saints are back -I just know that something good is going to happen!
- Journey to the Law will bring the Law to life in this spectacular festival finale! This large scale performance involving 60 local dancers, light and images; will be an impressive (free!), not to be missed event!
13th Nov – Sigur Ros’s film Inni is another highlight, brought to Dundee specifically for NEoN. The documentary follows the band’s performance, captured by French Canadian director Vincent Morisset.
More details about the full programme here: http://www.northeastofnorth.com/festival/programme and tickets (where needed) can be found here: http://neon.eventbrite.com