DJCAD Design Magazines
Second year Design & Craft students from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design have been producing online magazines which focus on design in Dundee. The students are studying a range of disciplines such as Interior & Environmental Design, Jewellery and Metal and Textiles, which has allowed for a series of unique and inspiring concepts from a range of view pointed to be developed by the groups.
The series of magazines include;
- Wanderer – An online travel magazine illustrating what Dundee has to offer.
- Grassroots Dundee – A grass-roots view of the city with a key focus on Dundee’s UNESCO City of Design Status.
- 3Dee Magazine – A magazine for students who are interested in moving to or are new to Dundee with a focus on city developments.
- Deelight – A magazine that aims to make people aware of what Dundee has to offer.
- Creativitay – encouraging people not interested in art and design to take a look at the city.
- CDEE – An online magazine created by students, for students.
- Sister Magazine – A magazine written for the Woman in Dundee, by the Woman of Dundee.
- Aye-Dee – An online magazine focused on informing the local community in Dundee, about creative events from the viewpoints of four culturally different bloggers.
- Reinventing Dundee – A magazine to focusing on the positive aspects Dundee’s regeneration project will bring to the city.
- Sketchup Dundee – A magazine which helps to showcase the creative side of Dundee from the perspective of people who are not originally from the city.
- Sprout – A fresh look at design in Dundee, aiming to inform, engage and inspire young people to get involved.
- Under Magazine – Stripping Dundee down to discuss design in the city.
- Done Deeds Dundee – A magazine about getting things done.
- Trend:Dee – A magazine which focuses on the why, when and what in Dundee.
After reading through the variety of magazines created by Design students, we decided to highlight a few key posts which we felt were worth sharing.
An insightful interview with Dundee based fashion designer, Hayley Scanlan. The piece talks through her journey from student to ‘Scottish Fashion Designer of The Year’, and offers sound advice to those who want to pursue a career in a design based discipline.
A reflective piece by Annabelle Gurney who moved to Dundee, from Glasgow, to study at DJCAD. She praises Dundee for having an exciting array of events and talent and talks about discovering the creative side of the city.
An interesting article on the opportunities available for students in Dundee. The piece reinforces the message that if you want experience, you need to push yourself to make contacts in the city who can help to benefit students throughout their time in higher education and after they graduate.
A brilliant piece reflecting on the possibilities available to Dundee’s City Square. Comparing it to other cities, the potential to make more use of the space is evident and could help to encourage more people to visit the city centre of Dundee.
A great insight to Dundee’s design industry throughout the years, from a history of Victorian Royal photographer James Valentine, to the architectural genius behind Maggie’s Centre.
An informative piece to advise creative industries students based in Dundee throughout their time in higher education. The article evaluates the topics of discussion at Scotland Re:Designed’s Interiors Exhibition in Dundee and quotes some sound advice from their panel of design industry experts.
A great review of the female speakers at Pecha Kucha Night Dundee – Volume 13. Eilidh Ferguson mentions the talks by successful women based in Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, South Korea and Taiwan and how inspiring she found each of them.
Make sure to check out all of the magazines to keep up to date with their latest posts.