BOOST by Design
BOOST by Design is a new project for Dundee’s social enterprises from all backgrounds who are keen to develop their understanding of service design*, innovation and digital skills. If you are a social enterprise who is trading and based locally interested in taking part in it early 2017, then it’s FREE and open for application – the deadline to apply is 5pm, Thursday 12th January 2017 – please read on to find out more!
As Dundee is the UK’s only UNESCO City of Design, Creative Dundee is delighted to be leading Boost by Design which will support Dundee based social enterprises in early 2017. Social enterprises already provide great products and services and create huge and important social benefits for communities. This project is the first of its kind – bringing design thinking and innovation skills into the mix to improve the way we all do social business.
Working with Dundee Social Enterprise Network, Boost by Design will support 20 early stage social enterprises who could benefit from gaining a better understanding of service design, digital innovation and community building. Boost by Design will be run in partnership with local partners, including Open Change, who are well regarded for their service design approaches. This project has only been made possible thanks to valuable Rank Foundation support.
* What is service design and why does it matter to social enterprises? In this good piece by Louise Downe at GOV.UK, Louise sets out that service design is simply the design of services. “To a user, a service is simple. It’s something that helps them to do something – like learn to drive, buy a house, or become a childminder.” Designing services can be more challenging, so Boost by Design will focus on why, what and how you deliver your services to help improve what you do.
Boost by Design programme:
The programme is free and open to all social enterprises that are fully trading and based locally, through a short and easy application process – please see the how to get involved section below. You can find a breakdown of the full programme here.
- Four half day workshops (afternoons of 21st, 28th Feb and 6th, 14th Mar 2017), which will help your social enterprise to:
- Understand how using service design can improve its sustainability and growth.
- Use design tools to consider the future vision of your enterprise and develop a plan to achieve it.
- Build, maintain and grow your communities both on and offline.
- Three sessions of mentoring/support by designers and digital developers following the workshop programme for up to 8 social enterprises – selected through an easy open call process.
- Boost by Design celebration event which brings together social enterprises and creative businesses in the city: an evening event with local speakers to share what they gained from the programme, encourage awareness of activities and opportunities across both sectors, and encourage potential future collaborations.
How to get involved:
To apply to Boost by Design, simply complete the short application form below before the deadline of 5pm, Thursday 12th January 2017 as places are limited, thanks! We’ll be back in touch to confirm if you have secured a place by Tuesday 17th January. If you have any questions then do get in touch with us here, thanks.
Criteria for application: Boost by Design is focused at supporting fully trading social enterprises who are looking to improve and evaluate their services/products. If you are not currently trading, or considering starting a social enterprise, then please do check out DSEN’s programme of events and support.
You can also view the slides here from the Boost by Design Info Session which took place on Monday 5th December at DSEN’s offices at The Factory Skatepark.
A handy short link to the application form: http://bit.ly/BoostbyDesign
Social media: #BoostByDesign
Special thanks to Ryan McLeod from Slurpp for the visual identity above.