Call for Designer/Illustrator – Dundee Foodie Map
Dundee Foodie Map is looking for an illustrator/designer to design an impactful guide for print. With the aim of communicating Dundee’s unique ‘food story’ in a piece of well-designed place marketing collateral that reflects the creativity of the city and its UNESCO City of Design designation. Apply by Friday 29th March!
This commission is for the design work for an A2 fold-out map (finished size 118 x 140mm) in the style of a 16 section pullout guide with maps. There is an ambition to ensure what is created can be developed further as the city’s food community develops, therefore the design work created should be able to be adaptable going forward.
The guide will tell the story of Dundee’s exciting food offer, its food heroes, abundant local produce grown locally found on menus across the city, whilst also as acting as a way-finder tool for visitors to the city.
The target audiences are
- Tourism visitors (Scottish, UK and International)
- Food and Drink Stakeholders (e.g. food and drink businesses and organisations local to Dundee and Tay Country
- Food and Drink influencers (eg media, chefs, bloggers)
The map will illustrate Dundee sitting at the heart of rich arable farmland known for producing quality food and drink, a proximity which has a direct impact on the quality and variety of food and drinks on offer in Dundee’s restaurants, cafes, bars and farm shops.
The size of this pull-out guide means that we will incorporate 2 maps. The first map will focus on a range of different food and drink from the surrounding countryside readily available to the city, with illustrations of the type of food/drink and where in the area they are coming from (e.g. farm, shops , distilleries, fishing sources) also highlighting local specialities e.g. smokies, asparagus, Angus beef, gin etc.
The 2nd map will break the city into food districts (West End, Broughty Ferry, City Centre, Waterfront) for easy navigation of where the cities eateries are located.
The remaining space on the map/guide will be a mix of text and illustration which tells Dundee’s food stories following themes such as:
Food history / Food heroes / Food locally sourced / Café culture / Range of restaurants / Drink offer – distilleries, breweries / Food facts – some of our great stats! / Sustainability – some positive examples
The designer and copywriter will be encouraged to work collaboratively.
- Examples of relevant work which gives a sense of the graphic illustration style you would apply to the maps and the leaflet (maximum of 4 A4 pages). Please also do share links to your website/social media!
- The final proof for print will be compiled using the graphics and the text provided by DCC Design team.
- Please send initial creative design concept to
Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 29th March
- The successful applicant will be selected by a panel comprising:
Dundee Food and Drink business, Dundee, One City, Many Discoveries
UNESCO City of Design Dundee
- While we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants directly, feedback can be requested if required.
£3000 is available to develop the successful design from concept to final output for print ready proof.
If you enjoy Creative Dundee’s work……
…would you consider becoming one of our Amps Supporters? Besides helping us connect and amplify creativity in the city, you get access to lots of perks, like reduced-priced Pecha Kucha tickets, meet-ups with other Amps and eligibility to apply for our Community Ideas Fund – each subscription makes the fund bigger. Find out more and join the community here!