Here’s a full breakdown of opportunities, events and content available in Dundee over September! Subscribe to our News Mail Out and receive updates each month.
- Little Lights is an exploration of mental health and creativity by the young people at Hot Chocolate Trust. Pop along on Fri 30 September to hang out, hear music, see art, get creative and add your voice.
- Shaper/Caper are bringing back Fail Safe on Thu 22 September. Join them for an evening of tales that celebrate defeat, disaster, and disappointment.
- Double Door Studios are now open on Tuesdays from 11am–4pm. Just give them a loud knock with the hammer knocker and someone will let you in!
- Lucy Dewar is Vandal and Co’s exhibiting artist until November. She strongly suggests getting a portion of churro waffles to accompany your browsing.
- Elfie Picket Theatre are going on tour! Catch them in spaces across Dundee on their Community Tour of Dolly Parton Saved My Life this September and October.
- Join City Soundscapes for a field trip and listening walk on Sat 17 September, weaving along a sound-trail that starts at the top of the Law and continues through the city.
- Dundee’s got a new arts festival! Opera Festival Scotland takes place across the city from Thu 22–Sun 25 September.
- Dundee Fringe is back for a second year! Tickets are on sale now, with theatre, spoken word, comedy, music, workshops and more—and we spy lots of Amps supporters in the programme.
- GENERATORprojects have invited local artists, writers and creative thinkers to create a series of workshops throughout the month that stretch and expand our ideas around creativity, galleries, and what it means to operate within the art world.
- They’re Fruity are hosting a queer craft night at EH9 Espresso. Join them on Thu 8 September for some collage fun, or bring along a project you’re already working on.
- Dundee Ceramics Workshop have LOTS of classes coming up. Whether you’re interested in wheel throwing or hand-building, there’s plenty to choose from.
- There are loads of creative workshops coming up throughout September at Blend Coffee Lounge, including watercolour, needle felting and jewellery making.
- The Craft and Flea are coming to Dundee! They’re bringing their market to Dundee for the first time, and they’ll be filling Caird Hall to the brim with local makers alongside street food and flea market stalls. Applications are open now.
- Scotland Re:Design have teamed up with Shelter Scotland to launch the Fashion for Social Change Award – a competition for designers and makers with a passion for social justice. Deadline: Sun 18 September.
- We’re joining forces with Creative Edinburgh, Glasgow Connected Arts Network and Creative Stirling for another SUPER EXCHANGE! Join us on Wed 28 September for a chance to connect and network online with creative practitioners across Scotland.
- VACMA is back(ma)! The first round of this year’s Visual Artist and Craft Maker Awards have just opened for applications. Deadline: Tue 25 October.
- New at DCA: The Top of Each Ripple by Manuel Solano focuses on ideas of identity and considers the development of personal attributes, emotions and feelings over the course of a life.
- The DJCAD Masters Show is back in-person for the first time since pre-pandemic! Join them to see and celebrate the creativity and excellence of this year’s Masters graduates.
- Coming later this month: Cooper Gallery are delighted to present Chimera, an exhibition bringing together new and existing works by Nashashibi/Skaer
- Bureau de change is a solo show by Louise Schmid, exploring transformations, remixes and mutations. Open at Meadow Mill from Wed 7 September.
- We asked some of our Amps network to share something in the city that inspires them—signwriter Barry Robertson chose the iconic Bananaman sign on DC Thomson’s Kingsway building, with its hero saving a falling letter from certain disaster.
- We chatted with some folks around the city who shared how their creative practices and garden projects have benefitted them, drawing parallels between the two in a recent blog post.
- See You Glow is an exhibition by DJCAD Fine Art graduate Shona Inatimi, runs until Sat 10 September at Federation Gallery. We caught up with Shona to find out more about the inspiration behind her first solo show.
Subscribe to our monthly News Mail Out for more events, features, opportunities and exciting content from Dundee!